Saturday, March 21, 2009

Is it pretty?

As a cyber superhero, I'll be the first to admit - I'm usually not too worried about whether most things are "pretty"

The thing is though, some of my customers - actually most of my customers - well, let's be honest - ALL CUSTOMERS like things to be pretty when they open their order.

Let me give you two scenarios:

Scenario 1: You buy something on eBay and open your order. The box kind of smells funny (someplace between mothballs and cigarettes) and is filled with strips of yellowing newspaper. On some of the newspaper there is some kind of stain - is it blood? Looks like blood. Oh! There is the thing I ordered - it's fine I guess - but was that blood? And what's that smell?

Scenario 2: You buy something on eBay and open your order. The box has that nice new plastic smell and is filled with fresh bubble wrap or foam or stuff that looks cool. My order is wrapped in fresh tissue or papyrus - I don't know what it is but I'm so glad I bought this cool thing.

I'm kind of exaggerating, but you get the idea. Don't use newspaper to stuff your packages. I understand the environmental argument - but honestly...using the right packaging makes your item weigh less which means less energy is used to transport it - and if you purchase recycled materials - you're still being pretty green.

No comments:

Post a Comment